If the desktop icon in windows disappear it could be for many reasons. Before digging too deep please check that the toggle for showing desktop icons hasn’t been unticked by right clicking in a blank space on the desktop, click on view and then as the below image:
Next you can try the following to resolve the issue:
Rebuild the Icon Cache
- Open Folder Options to select (dot) Show hidden files and folders.
- Open a Windows Explorer window.
- Go to C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local
- Right click on IconCache.db and click on Delete. Click on Yes to confirm the deletion.
- Close the window.
- Empty the Recycle Bin.
- Restart the computer.
- When you go back, you will notice the Size of the IconCache.db file is smaller, and the Date Modified is now the current date.
Run System File Checker
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.
Please note: This is a “QUICK SUPPORT” article. The information contained herein is provided as is. As a result of the speed in making it available, the materials may include typographical errors and may be revised at any time without notice. More than likely specific steps may be missing and it could very well be assuming you have an advanced understanding on how to complete certain steps.